Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Eco Tip of the Week


Look for dairy products sold in reusable containers. It’s simple: you pay a deposit for the container at the time of purchase and you are refunded the amount of your deposit the next time you bring back the empty jar, bottle or crock.

This may sound a little old fashioned, but think of all the containers that we can keep out of landfills or all of the resources that can be conserved if we don’t have to recycle them.

Here are a couple of Northern California companies using reusable containers. http://www.stbenoit.com
http://www.strausfamilycreamery.com

We like to know if you have found any products being packaged in reusable containers. We are always on the lookout.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

GREAT tip! I did not know about this. I will definitely do my part and buy this container. You have so much helpful information. Thank you for sharing.

Mahesh said...

I like your blog. For one, it reminds me of my home growing up. Back in India, most families can't afford to buy meat everyday, so meat is designated as a special meal that is saved for weekends. Like Sunday lunch. Mostly people eat vegetables, and vegeterian, as its much cheaper. Your blog just reminded me of that. i will read your otherposts! Thanks for the post.

Joseph Snowdon said...

I can't remember the company name but if you live near a City Market Co-op (I'm in Burlington, VT), there is a delicious milk by some local VT farmers sold in glass bottles. There is a deposit of $1.50 that you get back when you bring it back to the Co-op. It's kind of pricey, maybe $4 per liter with the deposit, but the first drink I took of this milk really showed me what I was missing with those silly conventional plastic bottle brands.

Beth said...

Better yet, make your own at home! It's simple and delicious.

Desimoka said...

If you live in Cleveland, OH you can get milk in returnable glass jugs from Hartzler farms. The milk is delicious. I buy it from Annmaries stand at the Westside Market.

One Small Orchard said...

I agree Beth, making your own is awesome. We use Easiyo, it is about AU $3.50 per litre and has stacks of benefits to pre made yogurt.